[Trhm-Go] F them to Madam de Warrens, without suppo

Antolik Armour freeways at ladifferance.nl
Thu Jan 7 04:19:08 CET 2010

When, free from the irrational motives that influenced me at that time,
I weigh in the scale of reason every action of my life. This is,
perhaps, the only time that, listening to inclination, I was not
deceived in my expectations. The easy access, obliging temper, and free
humor of this country, rendered a commerce with the world agreeable, and
the inclination I then felt for it, proves to me, that if I have a
dislike for society, it is more their fault than mine. It is a pity the
Savoyards are not rich: though, perhaps, it would be a still greater
pity if they were so, for altogether they are the best, the most
sociable people that I know, and if there is a little city in the world
where the pleasures of life are experienced in an agreeable and friendly
commerce, it is at Chambery. The gentry of the province who assemble
there have only sufficient wealth to live and not enough to spoil them;
they cannot give way to ambition, but follow, through necessity, the
counsel of Cyneas, devoting their youth to a military employment, and
returning home to grow old in peace; an arrangement over which honor and
reason equally preside. The women are handsome, yet do not stand in need
of beauty, since they possess all those qualifications which enhance its
value and even supply the want of it. It is remarkable, that being
obliged by my profession to see a number of young girls, I do not
recollect one at Chambery but what was charming: it will be said I was
disposed to find them so, and perhaps there maybe some truth in the
surmise. I cannot remember my young scholars without pleasure. Why, in
naming the most amiable, cannot I recall them and myself also to that
happy age in which our moments, pleasing as innocent, were passed with
such happiness together? The first was Mademoiselle de Mallarede, my
neighbor, and sister to a pupil of Monsieur Gaime. She was a fine clear
brunette, lively and graceful, without giddiness; thin as gir