[Frogma] G, now came to a window, informed the ci

Ishmon unguardedly at brada.com.au
Wed Aug 26 16:20:04 CEST 2009

 latter greeted him with a friendly gesture, but both ladies hesitated
to utter the first word. The young man turned hastily, noticed that he
was in the room overlooking the court-yard, and said, eagerly: "I was
down below just before twilight, to look at my new quarters, and heard
singing from this room, and such singing! At first I didn't know what
was coming, for the tones were husky, weak, and broken, but
afterwards--afterwards the melody burst forth like a stream of lava
through the ashes. We ought to wish many sorrows to one, who can lament
thus." "You shall make the singer's acquaintance," said Maria, motioning
towards the young girl. "Fraulein Henrica Van Hoogstraten, a beloved
guest in our house." "Were you the songstress?" asked Georg. "Does that
surprise you?" replied Henrica. "My voice has certainly retained its
strength better than my body, wasted by long continued suffering. I feel
how deeply my eyes are sunken and how pale I must be. Singing certainly
lightens pain, and I have been deprived of the comforter long enough.
Not a note has passed my lips for weeks, and now my heart aches so, that
I would far rather weep than sing. 'What troubles me?' you will ask, and
yet Maria gives me courage to request a chivalrous service, almost
without parallel, at your hands." "Speak, speak," Georg eagerly
exclaimed. "If Frau Maria summons me a