[ReStore] All were greatly impressed by the fact that so little can be known of Masacc

Norine Lautaret mettled at pixelmagnet.com
Fri Apr 23 16:14:48 CEST 2010

At there is so much all about me that I do not understand," and she
looked inquiringly at Mr. Sumner. "Robert and I have
talked over this very thing," replied Mrs.
Douglas. "Shall I tell them what we think?"

she asked her brother, as he rather abruptly turned away.
On his assent she continued:-- "It is a familiar question, since I very
plainly remember hearing my father and mother
talk of it when I was your age,

and Robert was but a lad. My father said it would take a lifetime of
patient study to learn thoroughly all that can to-day be learned of
what we call ancient Rome--the Rome of the Caesars; and how many
Romes existed before that, of which we can know nothing, save through
legend and tradition! 'Now,
will it not be best,' he asked, 'that we read all we can of legend and
the chief points of Roman history up to the present time, so that the
subject of Rome get into our minds and hearts; and then try to absorb
all we can of the spirit of both past and present, so that we shall
know Rome even though we have not tried to

find out all about her? We cannot accomplish the latter, and if we try
I fear we shall miss everything.' My mother agreed fully with him. And
so, many evenings at home; father would read to us pathetic legends and
stirring tales of ancient Roman life;

and we would often go and sit amidst the earth-covered ruins on the
Palatine. Here,

children, I have heard your

own dear father more than
once repeat, as only he could, Byron's graphic lines:--

"Cypress
and ivy, weed

and wall-flower

grown, Matted and mass'd together; hillocks heap'd On what were
chambers,

arch crushed, column strewn In fragments; choked-up vaults,
and frescoes steep'd In subterranean damps, where the owl peep'd
Deeming it midnight. "He used to love to repeat bits of poetry

everywhere, just as Margery does. "We climbed the Colosseum walls and
sat there for hours dreaming of what it once was--and so we went all
over the city--until I really think I lived in ancient Rome

a part