[ReStore] It as "the most painful display of the versatility of geniu

Helvey emotionizes at europroducer.nl
Sun Dec 6 19:11:31 CET 2009

 of Ali Pasha, the famous Albanian Turk, bandit, and despot, then
besieging Ibrahim at Berat in Illyria. They proceeded on their way by
"bleak Pindus," Acherusia's lake, and Zitza, with its monastery door
battered by robbers. Before reaching the latter place, they encountered
a terrific thunderstorm, in the midst of which they separated, and
Byron's detachment lost its way for nine hours, during which he composed
the verses to Florence, quoted above. Some days later they together
arrived at Tepaleni, and were there received by Ali Pasha in person. The
scene on entering the town is described as recalling Scott's Branksome
Castle and the feudal system; and the introduction to Ali, who sat for
some of the traits of the poet's corsairs,--is graphically reproduced in
a letter to Mrs. Byron. "His first question was, why at so early an age
I left my country, and without a 'lala,' or nurse? He then said the
English minister had told him I was of a great family, and desired his
respe