[Grimne-law] about one o'cl

Kasie Girard emptier at hongi.com
Sun Apr 25 13:12:27 CEST 2010

-tetanus. I confess that I was rather anxious about getting this
done,

for in crawling back across No Man's Land my wound had been covered

with mud and dirt. The orderly, who put on the iodine, told me that
the German artillery was sending shrapnel over the ridge. This was
rather disconcerting, but, accustomed as I had become to shrapnel at
close quarters,
the sounds seemed so distant that I did not bother more about them.
It must have been about four o'clock when my stretcher was picked
up and I passed once again into the warm sunlight. Outside an orderly
relieved me of my steel and gas helmets, in much the same way as the
collector takes your ticket when you pass through the gates of a
London terminus
in a taxi. Once more the stretcher was slid
into an ambulance, and I found myself

in company with a young subaltern of the K----'s. He was very cheery,
and continued to assert that we should

all be in "Blighty"

in a day or two's time. When the A.S.C. driver
appeared at the entrance
of the car and confirmed our

friend's opinion, I began to entertain the most glorious visions

of the morrow--visions which I need hardly
say did not come true. "How were you hit?" I asked the
officer of the K----'s. "I got a machine-gun bullet in the pit of the
stomach while digging that communication trench into No Man's Land.
It's been pretty bad, but the pain's going now, and I think I shall
be all right." Then he recognised the man

on the stretcher above me. "Hullo, laddie," he said.
"What have they
done to you?" "I've been hit in the left wrist and the leg, sir. I
hope you aren't very bad." The engine started, and we set off on our
journey to the Casualty
Clearing Station. For the last time we passed the